Monday, July 25, 2016

carpet freshness.



I have carpets throughout my home. I don't like carpet. Personally, I feel like carpet is a mom's arch enemy. I mean the spills, the cleaning, the time it takes to clean, the dog, the stains...the list could go on and on, but I have found a little something to aid me in the process of the dreaded cleaning of the carpet.

Enter in...my essential oils. Thieves and Purification are two of my very favorite oils! I literally have used almost half a bottle within a weeks time. I love the way they smell and the benefits of antimicrobial properties that they have. If you have questions about Thieves oil, check out my blog here to just find out how awesome it is.




What I did was use Pinterest (isn't that just awesome!) and look up a good recipe for carpet freshner using Young Living essential oils. I also was looking for something to make sure I had no unwanted nuisances in my house (i.e. fleas) because of the dog scratching and it being 100+ degrees outside with little rain. So here is what I found.

Baking soda is a known ingredient to freshen up the home that is natural and inexpensive. Can I get an Amen?! It also acts as a magnet to hair and dirt and helps your vacuum pick it up better. Seriously, what more could you want from one product. Then add borax. Borax can be found in the laundry section. It is known to boost your already laundry detergent and is an aid to clean. It also has properties to kill fleas. Who knew, right? Now the essential oils. Purification is used to purify the air, disinfect and get rid of nuisances like bugs. Thieves, well, Thieves is a super antimicrobial, disinfectant. Now, I have had sickness hit our house this last week, so I was desperate to throughly clean my house.


Now, the ratios. I did 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/2 cup Borax, 7 drops of Thieves and 10 drops of Purification. I took a mason jar which I have several just lying up in the cabinet and I made holes in the top by hammering a screw (you could use a nail) just enough to get a "hole." I scattered them to make sure the mixture would come out evenly but not too quickly as I wanted it to be dispersed well throughout the room. 



Next, I measured out the baking soda and Borax and premixed them together. Then I pour about half into the mason jar and added 3 drops of Thieves and 5 drops of Purification essential oils. Then I poured the rest of the Borax and baking soda mixture in and added the last 4 drops of Thieves and 5 drops of purification oils. Then I swirled it around, careful not to spill until it was well mixed. I placed the lid back on the jar and let sit for at least 30 minutes to make sure that the oils could dispense throughout the baking soda/Borax mixture.

After about 30 minutes, I spread it out on the carpet. For my home, I was able to use that 1 cup total mixture for two rooms at a time, like my bedroom and my daughter's bedroom. I found mixed reviews on how long to let sit. I let my bedroom sit for about an hour, and then vacuumed it up. I was cleaner, but the smell wasn't very strong. Now, my daughter's bedroom I let sit overnight and it really smelt like the essential oils. So, I would say that it all depends on what you want from the smell stand point. My thought process is, is that at at least an hour, you know that most of the bacteria/viruses should be killed at this point and that was my main focus! So feel free to use and enjoy!

Also I have made some printable labels that you can use for you personal pleasure. Mix, sprinkle, print and enjoy my friends!




Happy oiling from this momma to the next, 

Lauren



Wanna know how to get your own oils so you can do awesome DIY's like this one? 

Contact me via facebook at https://www.facebook.com/laurenmcbridges or email me at lauren.bridges02@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment